Thursday, March 22, 2007

Can it be true?

As of this evening, it still sounds like tomorrow is still the big day for Dave's release. Everything looked good with yesterday's CT scan, but the doctor has ordered another swallow test for tomorrow morning (apparently there's a little glitch with food pooling in the bottom of his stomach and then his stomach not completely emptying). It didn't sound like it would potentially keep him in the hospital any longer, but that the doctor just wants a look to see if there's any fine tuning they can do.

He also got the dreaded back drain pulled out today. He remarked on how comfortable it is to lay in his bed now. Hurray! I'm stoked to think he'll be coming home with no drains. On Monday, it will be six weeks since his surgery, so I know he's done a lot more internal healing during these last three weeks he spent in the hospital. He'll also be coming home with the PICC line so he can stay on IV antibiotics for the next two weeks. The feeding tube stays as well as he'll need to get 1,000 calories of "food" for 10 hours each night.

Although he's been given the green light on the soft food diet, he hasn't had much of an appetite and has also been feeling quite nauseous (a side effect of the antibiotics, we're told). It also doesn't help that if he feels like eating, he places an order with the hospital room service and then has to wait 45 minutes to an hour for his food to arrive. By the time the food shows up, he's tired and not much interested in eating. I'm sure that will change when he's home. I'll be hitting the grocery store early tomorrow morning for all his favorite soft foods - cottage cheese, canned peaches, oatmeal, pudding - yum yum! Ooh, maybe I'll make him a Ben & Jerry's milkshake too. The doctors did say to focus on calories right now and not to worry so much about nutrition since he's getting that via the tube.

Well, that's it (gotta go dish up some Ben & Jerry's). I think my days as a blogger are numbered and Dave will be getting back online soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Shannon!! You have done a fab job of keeping us all updated. Can't believe it's been 6 weeks...what a battle! Looking forward to Dave's blog. Cheers, and you two keep up the fight, it's all worth it, we know!!!!
Jeff & Cryss.

Jeff Howard said...

Well, the fact that Dave is making fun of nurses behind their backs really tells me that he is back. It reminds me of college when I was a young pledge and Dave was an eager J.I. (also known as xsshole:-)).

Jeff

r said...

That's great news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Even though I've not been commenting, I'm still checking the blog every day, and thinking good thoughts for you both.

Six weeks? It doesn't seem that long. For you though, it must seem like eons have passed.

Have some ben and jerry's yourself lady, you deserve it!

cheers!

Unknown said...

Oh I hope that Dave is home! So exciting about getting that back tube out. Whew!
Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress Shan.
Cindy

Unknown said...

Dear Shanny:
Don't give up as a blogger!!! Of course I want to hear lots and lots from Dave as soon as he is able. And I also want to keep hearing how you are doing as well. Plus, i think you have a possible next career as a writer. :)

Much love to all of you.
Michele

Anonymous said...

Yay! Is he home? Wish I could be there to make one my of my tropical smoothies for Dave. Hugs to all. And maybe he can enjoy the Kona coffee I sent too?

Aloha,

- Anne